Athlete tweets have become an athlete’s way of skipping major media altogether and communicating directly with their fans. The cynic in all of us knows that this is just a marketing tool off just another way for athletes to show how they can’t spell or read a calendar. But the spectator in us enjoys the random comments we might otherwise never have read.
Little did you know, though, that Twitter has actually been around for almost a century now, and has only recently become mainstream. I took a little time to do some deep research, and I came up with the 10 best athlete tweets you might have missed over the past 100 years.
Top 10 Forgotten Athlete Tweets in History
10. @BostonBillBuck: big win last night, up 3 games to 2, headed to shea! curse of bambino almost over!!!
9. @SD_GM-Beathard: Didn’t want Peyton anyway – can’t win the big game. Leaf will domin8!
8. @THE_REAL_BABE: Hey Boston, how my ass taste?
7. @Charlie_Hustle14: Hunch –gonna beat the Dodgers by 1.5 runs tonight. 😉
6. @OJuice: Ugh, bad day. Bronco got dirty, ruined Bruno Magli’s, lost a glove, almost missed flight and got just five McNuggets. Is it Friday yet?
5. @Bonds40-40: #FF @JCanseco, @RogerRocket, @A-Rod_Money, @BALCO, @CaminitiKen, @Pettitte_Pitcher, @Big_Giambi, @MAN-RAM
4. @FavreQB4: Montana to KC!!!?!!?!! Come on, Joe! Ur a legend, know when to hang it up! LMFAO!
3. @Georgia_Peach: Baseball has gone to hell. 🙁 RT @JackieRobinson_42: Guess who’s playing 2B for the Dodgers!?!!!
2. @CoryLidle1972: Tweeting @ 5000 feet, baby LOL – This is gr
1. @Stilt_Wilt: 10,000!!!!!!! 🙂
There are a couple tasteless tweets on here, for sure. But when was the last time athletes or Twitter was considered tasteful?
Speaking of Twitter, follow these Fantasy Football writers and these Fantasy Baseball writers!
Are there some athlete tweets I’ve missed over the years?
I’m also a big fan of some of the biblical tweets out there too.
Speaking of the twitters — Follow me @davidgonos!