It wasn’t long ago that the tight end position was considered super-deep with stars aplenty. But here we are, looking at the 2013 Fantasy Football Tight End Rankings, and we realize that many of the stars have faded quite a bit. Does that mean you can still invest a high draft pick in a tight end like Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham? We’ll see.
(NOTE: Our very latest 2013 Fantasy Football Tight End Rankings are posted here. We will update these rankings throughout the summer, as news and injuries occur.)
Starting back in 2009, the tight position took on a new look in Fantasy Football, as 10 different players scored over 100 Fantasy points in that season alone. That’s one of the highest marks in NFL history, and it began a string of seasons in which tight ends became much more important from a Fantasy perspective. In 2010, eight tight ends reached the century mark, and in both 2011 and 2012 – an amazing 11 tight ends scored 100 or more points.
So while the stars are fewer, it’s still a very deep position. Also, we’re seeing a lot of young tight ends start to develop into reliable Fantasy players, albeit not superstars like Graham and Gronk.Quick thoughts on my 2013 Fantasy Football TE Rankings:
- Despite missing five games due to injury, Gronk was still the second-highest scoring tight end in Fantasy, just behind Graham. Gronk will likely be taken in the second round of most drafts in 2013.
- Tony Gonzalez enjoyed a renaissance, scoring eight touchdowns and catching 93 passes (second only to Jason Witten at the position). It’s unclear if he’s coming back in 2013, but our bet is he does.
- Seven tight ends scored at least seven touchdowns. That’s just weird. Despite scoring seven touchdowns, Antonio Gates had one of his worst seasons, and you likely won’t own him next season, as one of your not-very-good opponents will draft him too high because of his name.
- While it would seem some young up-and-comers were taking over the position, there were just five tight ends under the age of 27 in the top 15 scorers at the position last year. Veterans like Gonzalez, Heath Miller, Dennis Pitta, Brandon Myers and Owen Daniels littered the rankings.
- Miller will likely miss some of the 2013 season after injuring his knee and having surgery after Week 16.
2013 Fantasy Football Draft Prep
|Rankings: Top 200 Overall | QB | RB | WR | TE | K | DST | Sleepers|
|PPR Rankings: Top 200 Overall | RB | WR | TE | Offensive Line Rankings|
|IDP Rankings: Top 195 Overall | DL | LB | DB | Auction Dos/Don'ts
|Rookie Rankings: Top 30 Overall | QB | RB | WR | TE|
|3rd-Year Wide Receivers: History | 3 to Target | The Big 3 | Avoid
|All-Reliable Team: QB | RB | WR | TE | All-Risk Team: QB | RB | WR | TE|
|Injured Players on the Mend: QB | RB | WR | TE|
|NFL Coaching Changes: Pt 1 and Pt 2 | Strength of Schedule: 9 Players|
2013 Fantasy Football Tight End Rankings
These 2013 Fantasy Football Tight End Rankings shouldn’t change much between now and the start of the 2013 season. But it’s likely that you can wait and still get a good one after the early rounds.