The dust has barely settled on your 2013 Fantasy Football championship trophy, and you’re already looking for 2014 QB rankings!?! You’re a sicko. You’re demented.
You’re my kind of Fantasy Football player!
So we’re looking at several months before we really know where all of the players end up playing in 2014, but there likely won’t be too many jersey changes among quarterbacks.
One of the biggest free agents at the position was Bears QB Jay Cutler, and he signed a seven-year deal the day after New Year’s Day.
Cutler’s backup, however, stands to make some good coin, as Josh McCown will test the free-agent waters before deciding if he should stay a backup with Chicago. The 34-year-old veteran out of Sam Houston State would be a stop-gap option for a team with playoff hopes and a young signal-caller. He could also serve as a high-priced backup behind an oft-injured stud QB.
Finally, Josh Freeman enters free agency at the absolute worst time in his career. He’s just 25 years old and he’s already been labeled a head case and a bust, after the Bucs washed their hands of him midseason and the Vikings couldn’t get him to run their offense. (It’s interesting to note, however, that both of his head coaches in 2013 have been fired.) Watch for him to sign with a bad team as a starter, or a good team as a backup in 2014.
You’ll note that Peyton Manning ended up in the first round of my 2014 Fantasy Football Mock Draft, although, I’m still not an advocate of taking a quarterback that early. I just think that one of the 11 other owners in my league will end up taking him in the first round, so that’s why he ends up in my first round mock.
Early 2014 QB Rankings
Below are my QB rankings for 2014 using the scoring standard of four points for a passing touchdown. Rookies have not been inserted because it’s just too difficult to rank them without knowing where they’ll end up.
1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
2. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
3. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
4. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
5. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles
6. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
7. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions
8. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
9. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
10. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
11. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
12. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
13. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
14. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
15. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
16. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals
17. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
18. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
19. Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants
20. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals
21. Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
22. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs
23. Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns
24. E.J. Manuel, Buffalo Bills
25. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
26. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans
27. Geno Smith, N.Y. Jets
28. Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans
29. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
30. Josh McCown, Free Agent
31. Michael Vick, Free Agent
32. Terrelle Pryor, Oakland Raiders
33. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars
34. Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings
35. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tennessee Titans
36. Josh Freeman, Free Agent
37. Case Keenum, Houston Texans
38. Matt McGloin, Oakland Raiders
39. Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos
40. Mark Sanchez, N.Y. Jets
Let me know if there are some players you think should be ranked a little higher or lower in the 2014 QB Rankings. I plan to roll out each position over the next couple weeks, so stay tuned. Feel free to tweet me @DavidGonos or comment in the section below!
David Gonos spent 5 years as a CBSSports.com Senior Fantasy Writer and three more years writing with SI.com. Over the past 17 years, his work has been published on NFL.com, MLB.com, FanDuel, FoxSports.com and USA Today. Since 2001, he has been tracking down the Top 50-plus Free Fantasy Football Draft Tools online. You can contact David Gonos here.