To say that the 2013 Fantasy Quarterback rankings is a deep and talented pool is like saying Richard Pryor had a good sense of humor.
Last year, we entered our Fantasy Football drafts knowing that there were three GREAT quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady, and a handful of very good quarterbacks in Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning. And finally, there was even a great set of high-upside picks available like Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, Robert Griffin III and Jay Cutler.
We were coming off a 2011 season that saw THREE 5,000-yard passers and 10 quarterbacks that threw for over 4,000 yards! Actually, 16 different QBs threw 500 or more pass attempts, which was also an NFL record. So as we entered 2012, we thought, “It won’t get any better than this.”
Looking back at 2012, we now know that several later picks turned in top-10 performances, making those early round picks of guys like Brees, Brady and Rodgers look a little less wise. Granted, Brees joined the 5,000-yard passer club, and five other quarterbacks joined him to land in the top 16 single-season passing yardage performances ever.
Here are some quarterback storylines to track through the offseason, training camps and preseason:
- Curious about injuries? Here’s where Joel Bartilotta tracks down what you need to know on injured quarterbacks, including Robert Griffin III and Tony Romo.
- What comes first, the chicken or the egg? We know Larry Fitzgerald’s Fantasy value climbs with the arrival of Carson Palmer, but does Palmer’s value rise because of No. 11?
- Speaking of Fitzgerald, his former teammate, Kevin Kolb, will be battling with the first QB drafted this past April, E.J. Manuel. Astute Fantasy owners know that three rookies ranked in the top 12 QBs in Fantasy points in 2012 for the first time ever. So when Manuel gets the call, you can believe his Fantasy stock will shoot up quickly.
- Back in Oakland, three quarterbacks will battle it out for the first-string job: Matt Flynn, Terrelle Pryor and rookie Tyler Wilson.
- Brady trades out Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd for Danny Amendola and probably rookie Aaron Dobson. With Rob Gronkowski seeing an operating room more than a doctor, TE Aaron Hernandez is going to get a lot of attention.
- Russell Wilson now has WR Percy Harvin to throw to, which should boost his stats (and preseason perceived Fantasy value).
- Andy Dalton now has a ton of weapons at his disposal, including new teammates RB Giovani Bernard and TE Tyler Eifert, who are both adept in the passing game.
- Ryan Tannehill had an impressive rookie season in Miami, and now he’ll have an above-average wide receiver to throw to in Mike Wallace.
- Rookie Geno Smith will try to make believers out of doubters with the Jets, which is something Tim Tebow was unable to do.
- Alex Smith goes the Joe Montana route, leaving San Francisco for Kansas City in the offseason. New head coach Andy Reid will work with him to get the Chiefs’ passing game going.
2013 Fantasy Quarterback Rankings
These 2013 Fantasy Quarterback rankings are for standard non-PPR leagues, scoring four points for a touchdown pass, starting 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DST. These rankings, powered by the folks at FantasyPros.com, will be adjusted throughout the summer. “ECR” stands for “Experts Consensus Rankings,” and it’s the average rankings of over 35 Fantasy Football writers/websites.
[table id=4 /]
We’ll be updating the 2013 Fantasy Quarterback Rankings throughout the offseason, so make sure you check back often when news and injuries hit.